Apply measurement science, mathematics, physics and engineering to design and develop systems, equipment and methods for calibrating electrical, dimensional, optical, physical, mechanical, environmental, and/or chemical inspection, measurement, and test equipment (IM & TE). Analyze and solve calibration problems using advanced mathematical and engineering knowledge. Use statistics to analyze measurement standards and processes. May develop software to assist in calibration laboratory and/or departmental processes. recommend calibration standards and IM&TE. Maintain calibration laboratory and/or quality systems. Perform laboratory and/or departmental administration and management.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Calibrate inspection, measurement, and test equipment (IM & TE) in order to ensure compliance with published specifications in one of the following disciplines: electrical, dimensional, optical, physical/mechanical, chemical.
- Maintain primary and/or intrinsic calibration standards.
- Maintain secondary and/or working calibration standards.
- Develop calibration procedures and methods, according to detailed specifications, blueprints, drawings, and other technical requirements.
- Collect, compile, measure, summarize and record data gathered during calibration.
- Analyze measurement data for identifying abnormalities trends and/or predicting future values.
- Identify IM & TE out-of-tolerance conditions and perform corrective action via adjustments, component replacement, correction factors, etc.
- Identify and correct measurement errors as applicable.
- Prepare calibration reports and certificates.
- Inspect and evaluate new calibration standards for proper operation before releasing to calibration laboratory.
- Recommend IM & TE for use in measurement applications.
- Recommend standards for use in calibration application.
- Adapt existing calibration equipment, standards, and techniques to accomplish unique measurements tasks for which they are not principally used.
- Apply engineering knowledge to the design and development of calibration methods, fixtures, and IM & TE not commercially available.
- Develop, document, and maintain calibration systems and procedures based on principles of measurement science, technical analysis of measurement problems and accuracy, and precision requirements.
- Perform uncertainty evaluation and analysis for measurement standards and associated measurement processes.
- Design and document measurement reference material for laboratory use.
- Conduct technical audits of the calibration laboratory to verify traceability of standards and compliance with published standards and guidelines.
- Develop software for calibrating im & te.
- Develop software for the maintenance of calibration standards.
- Develop, implement, and maintain the calibration laboratory’s quality systems per published standards and guidelines.
- Train subordinates in calibration concepts and procedures.
- Perform technical assessments for personnel performance reviews.
- Perform laboratory housekeeping.
- Maintain laboratory recognition/accreditation.
- Provide technical advice to the other departments of the organization.
Must be a U.S. Citizen in order to obtain security clearance
Education / Training Requirements
- Degree in physics or engineering
- Military precision measurement school or equivalent
- Minimum of three years calibration experience